To get the most out of Apex Legends, it is a good idea to understand which character you should choose before starting the game.
In-game characters are known as Legends, and people playing for the first time have six unlocked.
However, there are many characters in Apex Legends, and which one to unlock first is a big question, especially if the player does not have a lot of Legends Tokens or Apex Coins.
Here is a brief description, along with tips for beginners.
Which Legends To Buy First In The Apex?
Caustic is a Defensive character designed to lure enemies into fighting on his terms rather than pushing into their domain. For this character, a player must be willing to pay 12,000 Legend Tokens, 750 Apex Coins, or purchase the downloadable Champion Edition content.
- Caustic passive skill is Nox Vision, which allows him to see enemies in a thermal outline through his gas. This ability is one of the reasons he is so effective at sealing off areas and putting his enemies at a disadvantage. For example, when paired with his Nox Gas Trap or Nox Gas Grenade in a building, Caustic can exploit his opponent's lack of vision to get the kills he needs.
- The Fortified is a passive buff that reduces damage taken by Caustic by 10%. Another benefit of Caustic is that he is immune to the slowing effects of bullets.
- Considered Caustic's most iconic tactical ability, the Nox Gas Trap is the key to controlling areas and creating chaos for his opponents. Gas damage starts at 5 and increases by 1 every other tick indefinitely.
- The Ultimateis very similar to his Nox Gas Traps, with the main difference being the increased range of the Ultimate and the ability to deploy gas faster. As a result, it is a perfect ability for use before an attack on a building or area where your opponents are hiding.
Octane is an offensive Legend that was a new addition to the game in Season 1. Players can unlock this character with either 12,000 Legend Tokens or 750 Apex Coins.
Octane is a high-speed Legend. His tactical ability Stim allows him to run much faster for a short period of time at the cost of health.
- Activating Stim increases Octane's movement speed by 30%for six seconds. This may not seem like much, but it allows him to quickly catch up to fleeing players or run away himself. Using Stim consumes 10% of his health, so it is best to use it when Octane is shielded and not near death.
- Swift Mend is a passive ability of Octane that allows him to regenerate health over time. When out of combat, he restores one health per second, giving him a great source of sustain between fights. This will continue to work even if Octane is knocked but remember that it will not prevent him from bleeding out.Of course, Octane’s passive will not significantly impact in skirmishes, but for drawn-out gunfights, it can be an incredible ability.
- The ultimate ability, Launch Pad, places a pad on the ground that launches any playerwho steps on it into the air and allows them to double jump.
Mirage is an offensive Legend that can distract and confuse enemies. Players can purchase it from the Legends Store for 750 Apex Coins or 12,000 Legend Tokens. Like the other characters in Apex Legends, Mirage has three unique abilities.
- Now You See Me... (Passive) When knocked down, Mirage automatically cloaks and deploys a decoy that lasts 5 seconds.
- Mirage’s Tactical abilitysends a holographic decoy to a designated point within visual range to confuse and draw enemy fire. It is called Psyche Out, and this is one of the best tactical abilities in the game. Upon reaching the targeted location, the Mirage hologram performs the inspect weapon animation. The decoy will automatically vanish after 60 seconds or manually by deploying another one. For the most part, Mirage uses it to confuse his enemies. He sends it out from cover or around corners while he heads in the opposite direction.
- The Ultimate ability is the Life of the Party. This ability deploys an entire team of decoys. A circle of six decoys, all moving in exactly the same way as the real Mirage, is sure to cause trouble for opponents trying to take out the real enemy. Just before deploying the team, Mirage turns invisible for 1 second, preventing enemies from figuring out which is the real one.
One of the most popular characters for new players to play in Apex Legends is Loba because of how well she can support a team.
To unlock the Legend, which was first released in Season 5, players can use either 12,000 Legend Tokens or 750 Apex Coins.
- Loba is Apex Legends loot queen, picking up every goodie across the Outlands. Her tactical ability, Burglar's Best Friend, allows her to throw a bracelet that teleports her wherever it lands. It has a 30-second cooldown, so keep an eye on teleporting. The maximum throw distance varies from 71 to over 100+ meters.
- Passive abilityEye for Quality causes her to see and ping Epic and Legendary loot through walls. Her Passive, in tandem with her Ultimate, makes Loba one of the best early-game Legends. Eye for Quality also works the other way around - if there is no good loot in the building, a player can go elsewhere without potentially running into an enemy squad.
- Ultimate ability Black Market Boutique places a pillar that allows any player that interacts with it to teleport ammunition and up to two items from the surrounding area directly into their inventory. Early in the game, it is essential to use Ultimate off cooldown. Loba jumps into the Outlands with a 50% charge on the ability and has a 120-second cooldown. So be careful to drop it later on, though, as it can reveal a position with a large pulse when used and trails when Loba picks up items.
Introduced in Season 8, Fuse is an offensive Legend and a specialist in explosives. Players can unlock him by paying 12,000 Legend Tokens or 750 Apex Coins.
Fuse has access to three abilities: Grenadier (Passive), Knuckle Duster (Tactical), and The Motherload (Ultimate).
- The Passive gives Fuse an extra grenade per inventory slot. Fuse can hold x2 Thermite Grenades, x2 Frag Grenades, and x2 Arc Stars per inventory slot.
- Any grenade fired from Fuse Grenade Launcher will travel farther, faster, and more accurately than its thrown counterpart. When activated, Fuse Knuckle Cluster Launcher unleashes a cluster bomb that continuously emits airburst explosives on impact. It can be attached to enemies, dealing AoE splash damage to anyone unfortunate enough to be caught in the blast area. This spell is great for destroying traps and ambushing squads.
- Ultimate unleashes a bombardment that surrounds a target area in a wall of flame, dealing damage over time and slowing players caught in it. Despite its massive size, The Motherlodecan fire up to 200 meters away. This action gives Fuse plenty of opportunities to ambush his enemies.
How Do I Buy Legends In Apex?
Each player in Apex Legends starts with six Legends to play with, but the goal is always to unlock them all.
There are two ways to unlock Legends, but one requires players to dig deep into their wallets. By playing Apex Legends, you can earn the free Legends Tokens needed to unlock a new character.
The Legends tab shows which characters you can unlock. The ones you do not have are highlighted in gray.
Clicking on these legends will ask if the player wants to unlock them.
The process is simple:
- Select the Legend
- Pay the required currency amount
There are two types of currency that can be used to pay the fee and they include:
- Legend Tokens
- Apex Coins
What Are Legend Tokens?
Legend Tokens are the free method of unlocking new Legends and can be earned by playing the game with the best weapon loadout. Tokens are available to players at level 4 and are added to your account at a rate of 600 tokens per level.
The level is upgraded by earned XP. There are different ways to get them:
- Killing Opponents
- High Placement
- Playing with Friends
- Finishing the Battle Pass
- Completing Challenges
Players can use Legend Tokens to unlock new Legends, which are playable characters in the game.
As mentioned above, only 6 Legends areunlocked from the beginning, and there are currently 10 Legends that players can purchase with Legends Tokens: they cost 12,000 each unless the player prefers to spend 750 Apex Coins instead.
Players need to spend real money to buy Apex Coins, so Legend Tokens are a great way to unlock the full roster without spending a dime.
What Are Apex Coins?
Apex Coins are a premium in-game currency that may be used to purchase Apex Packs, goods from the Rotating Store, and new Legends.
Apex Coins are most easily acquired by simply purchasing the packs in the store.
The prices for Apex Coin Packs are as follows:
- 1,000 Apex Coins - $10
- 2,150 Apex Coins - $20
- 4,350 Apex Coins - $40
- 6,700 Apex Coins - $60
- 11,500 Apex Coins - $100